In our relief programs we participate in the needs that are important to the community. These communities lack clean water, medical care and mosquito nets. Working hand in hand with a local church, we offer training in proper hygiene and seek to provide what is lacking.
Make a huge difference to the life of a community
Giving a future and a hope
Since 2010, African Hope Children’s Ministry has worked with Unreached Africa (a registered ministry in Uganda) in their efforts to drill two water wells and repair a third. Students at East Cobb Christian School in Atlanta, Georgia, Jackson Middle School in San Antonio, Texas and Toronto Baptist Church in Sydney, Australia contributed to these wells. We were grateful to the donations from individual donors as well. Three villages in the Nakasongola District, one of the driest districts in Uganda, benefited from these wells. It is not uncommon for villagers to walk 10-15 miles to the nearest water source. On our recent trip to Nakasongola, we watched villagers fill their jerry cans with water from the same ponds that cows and other livestock use.
We salute Stockwell Place Elementary School in Bossier City, Louisiana for their passionate efforts to raise $11,000 to drill a well in the Nakasongola District of Uganda. The school held a walkathon on May 2nd, 2013 to bring attention to the need for clean water. We also would like to applaud the students from Meadowview Elementary School in Bossier City who came alongside and helped. Not only did the students accomplish their goal, but they exceeded it by raising the money for two wells!! Hurrah!!
Poor sanitation is one of the biggest health challenges facing rural Uganda. Cholera and typhoid, both preventable diseases, have cost many lives. The nearest small medical clinic is over 20 miles away. The closest medical center is about 80 miles away. In case of an emergency, villager must walk, or use a bicycle or a moto bike to seek medical attention.
Relief Program goals:
2 new water wells (thank you to First Christian Church of Lufkin, Texas and to Dunbar Elementary School and Brandon Elementary School of Lufkin for their efforts to bring a new water well)
Relief Donations Cover:
- Mosquito net distribution
Early diagnosis and treatment of malaria reduces disease and prevents deaths. It also contributes to reducing malaria transmission. Sleeping under long-lasting insecticidal nets protects against mosquito bites and malaria. They can be used as protection for people most at risk of malaria, such as young children and pregnant women.A gift of $20.00 for mosquito nets will benefit a family.
- Drilling water wells
- Mobile medical clinic
(once a month)
Achievements and Specific Needs
- Enrolled 32 students in the sponsorship program
- Have over 29 committed sponsors supporting our children
- Organized camps for our sponsored children where they are trained spiritually and learn to read their bibles
- Organized a work camp for our children where the sponsored children give back to their societies
- Have witnessed our children’s esteem growing to a point where they believe they can be agents of change in their societies
- To holistically develop the unreached children to be God fearing, responsible citizens who will be physically and spiritually equipped to be agents of change in their communities.
- At least four committed sponsors for each child
- Ensuring that our children excel in academics
- Ensuring good health for our children
- Ensuring that our children participate in leadership roles at their schools and the churches where they pray from
- Ensuring that our children have mentors who will monitor them to a point where they will know God more and independently work in teams to develop their societies
- Take one of our sponsored children for an Operation
- Organize a leadership training for our children
- Relevant text books
- $35 per month to sponsor a child
- $400 to carry out an operation for a tumor on our child’s head
- $800 for the leadership training
Every Penny Counts
You may make a donation to the relief program by check or online.
Make checks payable to:
African Hope Children’s Ministry
c/o Nancy Dickey
250 Cactus Canyon
Spring Branch, Texas 78070-5663